Wikipedia, the fifth most visited website in the world holds a lot. It was created in 2001 by two friends that came up with the idea of making an information sharing website. Most of the people do only know about this and nothing else and thus we here have come up with 10 facts that you should know about it.
1. Wikipedia was created by two friends with a purpose to create a website that will provide information to people about everything in the world. Wikipedia pages were made by people hired by Wikipedia and the first idea was to have a closed structure of creating Wikipedia pages. But soon the founders got to knew that it was not possible to cover everything in the world with just a few people in the house and thus they made the platform open for anyone who wanted to contribute. This was how everyone was allowed to create Wikipedia pages.
2. One thing that people know is that it is one of the most visited websites in the world but most people don’t have the idea that it is currently the fifth most visited website in the world with around 40 million visitors regularly.
3. You have only accessed Wikipedia in English? Well, that is the most used Wikipedia language currently but that is for sure not the only language to have a Wikipedia page. In fact, there are more than 200 languages in which you can access Wikipedia. Possibly the highest count of any website in the world.
4. Another thing that most people don’t know about is that Wikipedia currently has around 29 million pages live on it which means that there are 29 million different topics that could be explored over this platform. This makes the world to have information about almost everything in the world.
5. People who create Wikipedia pages know that Wikipedia does not accept anything and everything but this is not something that all of us have an idea about. Controversial topics are straightaway rejected or disapproved by Wikipedia and pages with any such information that includes some kind of controversy is deleted from the platform.
6. Wikipedia is a Non-profit organization and is run through the grants and donations that are being given to the website. An organization named as Wikimedia Foundations runs the website and all its operations without earning any profit from the platform and this is the reason that accessing this platform has been set completely free.
7. Referencing is one of the key essentials of Wikipedia and it is considered to be an important requirement in creating any of the Wikipedia pages. Referencing means to back every information with an outside link that is credible and authentic like a press release, news or an article on the website that is thought to be reliable. Any information with being referenced properly is likely to be removed of the Wikipedia page.
8. Moreover, one thing that states about the Wikipedia being developed so much is that it now has become a professional field where we see Wikipedia writers for hire, Wikipedia experts for hire and such other people who have the expertise and experience in operating and working on the Wikipedia pages. This has made it easy for people to create Wikipedia pages.
9. The ninth fact to mention is that even if you are working with a professional still the requirements and guidelines of the Wikipedia a to be considered and contemplated in order to get the Wikipedia page to be approved because the approval of the Wikipedia pages is still kept in the people who run the entire platform.
10. Although Wikipedia is considered to be a content marketing platform still one thing that is to be kept in mind is that it does not appreciate the marketing content and tone for its pages. This is the reason that professionals do work on creating the content that is not in marketing tone yet depicts the information about the product or the brand for which the page has been created.
These are a few of the facts that most people don’t have an idea about when they think of Wikipedia. It has changed much in the world, some of the changes have occurred due to the change in structures yet many of them have been there due to the way people have started to use in the contemporary times.